Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Good Readers and Good Writers

According to Vladimir Nabokov, a good reader is one who has imagination and an artist’s passion but still remains reserved. Nabokov also believes a good reader is a re-reader. This is because it’s difficult to gain an appreciation for the artistry of a book after reading it only once. Taking into consideration my experiences with reading, I would have to agree with Nabokov’s description of the ideal reader.
Much like Nabokov, I believe a good reader needs to have a great deal of imagination to get the full effect of what the author has created. Another quality I feel a good reader should possess is having an open mind. As most authors have hidden connotations or meanings behind their work, it is important to be open to the writing so you can uncover them. Based on mine and Nabokov’s opinion, I believe I’m a good reader. I have the imagination while still keeping a broad but firm mind.

http://www.weac.org/news_and_publications/education_news/2007-2008/readinginroom_imagination.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment