Sunday, April 10, 2011

Handmaid's Tale Topic Proposal

The assignment given for our second long essay was to read The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. While reading this patriarchal novel, I found it difficult to not become angered by the treatment and attitude towards the women in the story. More than that, I found myself wondering how a world, like the one presented in the story, could come to be? As being someone who is so passionate about female equality, I felt the most suiting topic to research and discuss for this paper would be that of feminism. I also chose this topic because it’s something I want to learn more about and gain a better understanding of. Through researching this subject I also hope to learn more about what women have overcome so I can appreciate more of where we are today.

Another thing I was curious about is how a female author would approach this theme. As controversial as this subject is, I believe Atwood maintained some sense of fairness. After researching this topic and learning more, I hope that it will help me to understand her purpose in writing this novel.



Image URL:
http://thebanksvault.pbworks.com/w/page/20908128/The-Handmaid's-Tale-Diaries

The Woman's Movement:
http://feminism.eserver.org/theory/feminist/Womens-Movement.html

No comments:

Post a Comment